If you're like me, the travel bug can sneak up on your when you least expect it. Spring, summer, fall, or winter - it doesn't matter, I'm forever wondering when our next vacation will be and where we can go? However, there are only so many vacation days and only so much money to go around. What if your family vacation is weeks away? Or you already took it? If you have a zen for travel there are plenty of other ways to satisfy the need for adventure without breaking the bank. Quench your desire to head out on the open road with the family by taking them for a special day out!
These 25 ideas for a day out with the family range from enjoying the beauty of nature to educational opportunities for your little ones. Oh, and don't forget to take advantage of all of the sights at your nearest city!
1. Visit a National Park ~ 52 Brand New
2. Take the family on a picnic
3. Try your luck at Geocaching with the whole family ~ KidWorldCitizen
5. Visit animals during a farm outing ~ Mama Smiles
6. Explore a local Aquarium
7. Turn a volleyball pit at the park into your own private beach ~ JDaniel4's Mom
8. Spend some time together at a festival (music, cultural, or even seasonal)
9. Find a National Monument close to home and join the National Park Jr. Ranger Club ~ KC Edventures
11. Grab a rod and reel for some fishing at a nearby pond
12. Spend a day at the pool
13. Take the kids for a bike ride on a scenic bike trail
14. Discover Local Transportation ~ One Perfect Day
15. Stay cool meandering through a local museum
16. Stop by a local dairy (and see if they have ice cream to sample!) ~ JDaniel4's Mom
17. Find a quaint little town and browse through their shops
19. Become a tourist in your hometown and explore local attractions
20. Ride the rails and discover unique places during a short train ride ~ KC Edventures
21. Cheer for your favorite team at a sporting event
22. Embrace living history and frequent neighboring historical sites ~ Mama Smiles
23. Load up a backpack with water and snacks and go for a hike
24. Gaze at the stars while visiting a planetarium ~ KC Edventures
25. Venture out into the wilderness to go camping
Remember, while you out there on the road, act like a tourist! Take the camera and capture these family memories in the making. Buy a little souvenir that you can place in a memory jar or set on the mantle when you get home. Search for a special snack that the whole family can enjoy, like cotton candy or ice cream. Anything that will make this time day out with your family a little more special and extraordinary.
Even though you may only be on the road for a couple of hours or less, don't forget to bring some fun activities for the car to keep the little ones entertained.
~ Fill up mini discovery bottles to play with along the way!
~ These Busy Boxes from Z is for Zel are perfect for the backseat!
~ MamaScout has an amazing list of activities to do while sitting in a restaurant (or in the car!).
~ Create a Car Trip Busy Box before you leave like this creative one made by PlayDrMom
If you are still looking for more ideas for some good old family fun, stop by Local Fun for Kids. You'll find a wonderful list of the Best Blogs for Local Fun organized by state. This is a great resource for families all around the U.S.
So get ready...pack your bags, toss the kids in the car, and head out for an adventure on the road with the whole family! Don't let the travel bug get you down. Try one of these ideas for fun on the run!
Thank you so much for stopping by! If you enjoyed this activity, please join us on Facebook. You can even explore our boards on Pinterest if you are looking for more inspiration for play with natural elements, learning, and nurturing little global citizens of the world.